School of Business
Department of Business and Enterprise
Site kindly hosted by maths.qmul.ac.uk
The Maths Study Group is an initiative of the
former department of Maths, Stats and Foundation Studies, aimed at providing a
forum for mathematically-minded people, within the Faculty and elsewhere, to meet
and share ideas.
Each week somebody gives an expository talk
with the aim of increasing everybody's mathematical general knowledge.
Talks currently take place at approx. 1630 and are preceded by tea. Location details are emailed nearer the time: let Carrie Rutherford know if you would like to be added to the mailing list.
- Tuesday 18 April, Tony Forbes, Pentagonal Geometries
- Tuesday 11 April, Carrie Rutherford (LSBU), "Bell ringing and group theory"
- Tuesday 4 April, no meeting
- Thursday 30 March, outing to Queen Mary for inaugural lecture by Thomas Prellberg: "Approximate Counting"
- Tuesday 28 March, Abdelhamid Fenghour (LSBU), "The Second Law of Thermodynamics"
- Wednesday 22 March, outing to 2017 Christopher Zeeman Lecture at Royal Society, "Maths, Teamwork and Googlies" by Rob Eastaway
- Tuesday 14 March, Nigel Heys, "The mathematics of airline overbooking"
- Tuesday 7 March, Tony Forbes (Open), Pentagonal Geometries
- Tuesday 28 February, 2017 New Year Lecture: Leonard Soicher (Queen Mary University of London), "A new upper bound on the clique number of a strongly regular graph" (his slides)
- Tuesday 21 February, Carrie Rutherford (LSBU) "The Lights Out Game"
- Tuesday 14 February, Tony Forbes (Open), "Factorization using the Number Field Sieve"
- Tuesday 7 February, Tony Forbes (Open) “Theta Graphs”
- Wednesday 1 February, Mohamed Mehbali (LSBU) “Statistical Analysis of Maths drop-in sessions”
- Wednesday 25 January, no meeting
- Wednesday 18 January, Carrie Rutherford (LSBU) "A constructive proof of an upper bound for k-chord pancyclicity."
- Wednesday 11 January, Carrie Rutherford (LSBU) "k-chord pancyclicity in graphs"
- Wednesday 21 December, no meeting
- Tuesday 13 December, outing to The Alan Turing Institute (at British Library) for Workshop/Public Lectures: "Large-Scale Structures in Random Graphs"
- Wednesday 7 December, Graham Lovegrove (Open) "The Constant Configuration Conjecture"
- Wednesday 30 November, Tony Forbes (Open), "Graph designs"
- Wednesday 23 November, Carrie Rutherford (LSBU), "Representations of transversal matroids"
- Friday 18 November 2016, Robin Whitty (QMUL), the No-Tetratorus Theorem (based on two preprints of Michael Elgersma and Stan Wagon, one of which is available on the arxiv).
- Friday 11 November 2016, outing to LMS AGM
- Wednesday 9 November 2016, 6pm, outing to Museum of London: "Leonardo, Rapunzel and the mathematics of hair" by Raymond E. Goldstein
- Thursday 3 November, outing to LMS/BCS-FACS Seminar: Muffy Calder, "Probabilistic Formal Analysis of Software Usage Styles in the Wild"
- Wednesday 2 November 2016, outing to Old Codgers combinatorics meeting at Reading University
- Thursday 27 October 2016, outing to Gresham College: "Curves in honour of Leibniz's tercentenary" by Jan van Maanen, Snezana Lawrence and Kenneth Falconer.
- Wednesday 19 October 2016, Tony Forbes (Open) "Graph Designs"
- Wednesday 12 October 2016, no meeting
- Wednesday 5 October 2016, Gary Michalek (La Salle), "Writing Numbers in Base N, part II"
- Wednesday 28 September 2016, Gary Michalek (La Salle), "Writing Numbers in Base N (Number Systems and Just Touching Covering Systems)" abstract
|Some speaker notes (generally pdf <0.5MB unless stated, open in new window)
Peter Cameron (St Andrews and Queen Mary): Hadamard matrices
Graham Farr (Monash): Minors for alternating dimaps, Transforms, minors and generalised Tutte polynomials
Tony Forbes (Open): Bernoulli Polynomials (updated 4.11.15), Poncelet's Porism and Elliptic Curves (1.3MB),
The Towers of Hanoi, Regular Polytopes, Decision problems for linear recurrence sequences (updated 27.10.15), The Bruck–Ryser Theorem, Wilson's Theorem in design theory, Primality without recourse to arithmetic, The Hardy–Littlewood Circle Method, Congruence properties of the partition function (0.6MB), Integer Factorization, Elliptic curves, factorization and primality testing, Applications of Weil's Theorem on Character Sums
Gary Michalek, (La Salle): Writing Numbers in Base N (Number Systems and Just Touching Covering Systems)
Michael Olorunsaiye, (Covenant University, Nigeria): Generalities about partial C*-algebras
Nigel Phillips (LSBU): Algorithmic Probability
, Computability and Probabilistic Machines
Francesca Merola (Roma Tre University): On Hamiltonian cycle systems with a nice automorphism group
Jon Selig (LSBU): The catalecticant, Gröbner Bases Part I: Varieties and Ideals, Gröbner Bases Part II: Monomial Orders and the Division Algorithm, Gröbner Bases Part III: Gröbner bases and monomial ideals, Gröbner Bases IV: Buchberger's Algorithm, Clifford algebras and computational algebra, Molien's theorem in invariant theory, Representations of GL(n), Hopf algebras
|Leonard Soicher (QMUL):
A new upper bound on the clique number of a strongly regular graph
Robin Whitty (Queen Mary): Finding a continued fraction for Tau, Graceful trees and graphs
Tao Yang Wu (now UEA): Expanders: Background, Expanders: Zig-zag product, Applications of Sperner's Lemma, Graph Homomorphisms: a language
Comments or queries about the Maths Study Group
or this page: Carrie Rutherford