This book has now been published.
The old versions which were once available here have been removed.
The notes on finite simple groups described below are gradually being
transformed into a book. This version was prepared on 31st October 2006.
A version from August 2006
- Preface: 3 pages: pdf
- Table of contents: 7 pages: pdf
- Chapter 1: Introduction: 9 pages: pdf
- Chapter 2: The alternating groups: 26 pages: pdf
- Chapter 3: The classical groups: 55 pages: pdf
- Chapter 4: The exceptional groups of Lie type: 54 pages: pdf or
- Chapter 5: The sporadic groups: 69 pages: pdf or
- References: 3 pages so far: pdf
The following notes on finite simple groups
written in collaboration with Chris Parker
are intended as an 'introduction' at
beginning postgraduate or fourth year undergraduate level.
They are a greatly expanded version of a lecture course
given at MSci level at the University of Birmingham in 2003-4.
We know they are not yet sufficiently
'introductory', but you may find some of these
draft chapters useful.
Some, none, or all of the following may be available at some time or other:
- Chapter 0: Introduction
- Chapter 1: alternating groups (approx 20 pages).
- Chapter 2: classical groups (approx 40 pages)
- Chapter 3: sporadic groups (approx 20 pages so far)
- Chapter 4: Lie algebras and the finite groups of Lie type
- Chapter 5: Algebraic groups
- Chapter 6: Connections: groups of Lie type without Lie algebras
This page is maintained by Robert Wilson. The
views and opinions expressed in these pages are mine. The contents of these
pages have not been reviewed or approved by Queen Mary, University of