I am a Senior Lecturer in Pure Mathematics in
the School of
Mathematical Sciences at
University of London.
Office: W306, Queens Building, Mile End campus (number 19 on
Telephone: 020 7882 5520
Office hours: see
my entry on the School's pages. Or email for an appointment.
Here is my CV.
Teaching and tutoring
In Semester B, I am teaching
MTH4104, Introduction to Algebra.
In previous years I have taught an advanced graduate module on
at the London Taught Course Centre.
I am the tutor for postgraduate admissions for
applicants to our PhD programme interested in pure maths.
Contact me if you have enquiries about postgraduate study in mathematics
at Queen Mary.
will be held at Queen Mary from 9th to 13 July 2017.
I am among the co-chairs of its scientific programme committee.
I have two current PhD students:
- Amanda Cameron (started January 2014)
- Ben Smith (started September 2015)
I share interests with the
geometry and analysis
research groups. It is the Algebra group which I am formally affiliated with.
My research interests are principally in
algebraic combinatorics, especially where commutative algebra
or algebraic geometry apply; matroid theory and tropical geometry
have been recent themes.
I recently held EPSRC grant EP/M01245X/1
Algebra and geometry of matroids.
Publications (and talk slides)
- Journal articles, conference papers, preprints
- Alex Fink, David E Speyer and Alexander Woo,
A Gröbner basis for the graph of the reciprocal plane,
- Amanda Cameron and Alex Fink, A lattice point counting
generalisation of the Tutte polynomial, extended abstract
accepted to FPSAC 2016,
Full version forthcoming.
- Alex Fink, Jenna Rajchgot, Seth Sullivant,
Matrix Schubert varieties and Gaussian conditional independence models,
Journal of Algebraic Combinatorics 44 no. 4 (2016), 1009–1046.
- Andrew Berget and Alex Fink, Equivariant Chow classes
of matrix orbit closures,
to appear in Transformation Groups.
at Transformation Groups.
- Alex Fink and Luca Moci,
Structure of matroids over a valuation ring,
- Andrew Berget and Alex Fink, Matrix orbit closures,
- Alex Fink and Felipe Rincón, Stiefel tropical
linear spaces, Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A 135 (2015),
- Alex Fink and Luca Moci, Matroids over a ring,
Journal of the European Mathematical Society 18 issue 4 (2016), 681–731.
- Alex Fink,
expansions of matroid Stanley-Reisner rings,
- Alex Fink, Aviezri Fraenkel, Carlos Santos,
Lim is not slim,
International Journal of Game Theory 43 issue 2 (2014), 269–281.
Online at IJGT.
- Alex Fink, Lattice games without rational strategies,
Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A 119 (2012), 450–459.
- Alex Fink and David E Speyer, K-classes of matroids
and equivariant localization, Duke Math. J. 161 no. 14 (2012),
- Alex Fink, Tropical cycles and Chow polytopes,
Beiträge zur Algebra und Geometrie
54 no. 1 (2013), 13–40.
Online at Beiträge.
Video of the talk, MSRI, 16 October 2009.
- Harm Derksen and Alex Fink, Valuative invariants
for polymatroids, Advances in Mathematics
225 no. 4 (2010), 1840–1892.
- Alex Fink, The binomial ideal of the intersection axiom
for conditional probabilities,
J. of Algebraic Combinatorics 33 issue 3 (2011), 455–463.
- Alex Fink, Richard Nowakowski, Aaron Siegel, David Wolfe,
Toppling conjectures, Games of No Chance 4,
MSRI Publications volume 63, 65–76.
- Alex Fink and Benjamin Iriarte Giraldo,
Bijections between noncrossing and nonnesting partitions
for classical reflection groups, Portugaliae Mathematicae
67 fasc. 3 (2010), 369–401.
- Alex Fink, Richard Guy and Mark Krusemeyer,
Partitions with parts appearing at most thrice,
Contributions to Discrete Math. 3 (2008), #79.
- Federico Ardila, Alex Fink and Felipe Rincón,
Valuations for matroid polytope subdivisions,
Canadian Journal of Mathematics,
published electronically on July 29, 2010.
- Alex Fink, Jörg Denzinger, and John Aycock,
Extracting NPC behavior from Computer Games using Computer Vision
and Machine Learning Techniques, IEEE Symposium on
Computational Intelligence and Games, 2007, 24–31.
- Alex Fink and Richard Guy,
The number-pad game,
Coll. Math. J. 38 (2007), 260–264.
- Alex Fink,
A generalization of an IMO problem,
Integers, Electronic Journal of Combinatorial Number Theory
6 (2006), #A17.
- Alex Fink and Bill Sands,
Rationals whose sum equals the
reciprocal of their product, Crux Math. 30
- Doctoral thesis
- My thesis was titled
Matroid polytope subdivisions and valuations. Aside from an introduction all its content appears in the
- Expository writing, manuscripts
Matroid subdivisions, and
a computational appendix.
Written for Jack Edmonds' 2015 summer courses on
Polyhedral Combinatorics and Exponential Polytime,
of which I gave a segment.
- Alex Fink and Richard Guy,
Rick's Tricky Six Puzzle:
S5 sits specially in S6,
Math. Magazine 82 no. 2 (April, 2009). See also Doug Ensley's
interactive supplement with implementations of the puzzle.
- If two were three,
what would Hex be?, 2008,
for Gathering for Gardner 8.
See also my other page
on this game, with an implementation.
- Patulous pegboard polygons,
with Derek Kisman and Richard Guy, 2006, for Gathering for Gardner 7,
Mathematical wizardry for a Gardner, AK Peters, 2009.