I am a Lecturer in Pure Mathematics in
the School of
Mathematical Sciences at
University of London.
Office: B53, Mathematics Building, Mile End campus (number 4 on
020 7882 5520
Office hours: see
my entry on the School's pages. Or email for an appointment.
Here is my CV.
Teaching and tutoring
In Semester B, I taught
MTH4104, Introduction to Algebra.
I also ran two tutorials for
MTH5103, Complex Variables:
- Thursday 3pm, BR 3.01
- Thursday 4pm, GO Jones UG 1
I am the Communications Coordinator for the School of Mathematics,
responsible for gathering news of academic relevance for
the Maths website and School newsletter among other fora.
Please let me know
if you have noteworthy publications, public appearances,
new collaborations, long-term visitors whom others might
want to talk to,
Jack Edmonds will give two
minicourses on Existential Polytime and Polyhedral Combinatorics
in June of 2015.
will be held at Queen Mary in 2017.
I have one current PhD student:
- Amanda Cameron (started January 2014)
I have also hired
a postdoctoral research assistant, to work on problems including
parameter spaces of varieties
and tropical scheme theory, who will begin in July 2015.
I belong to Queen Mary's
geometry and analysis
My research interests are principally in
algebraic combinatorics, especially where commutative algebra
or algebraic geometry apply; matroid theory and tropical geometry
have been recent themes.
I have been awarded EPSRC grant EP/M01245X/1
Algebra and geometry of matroids, to commence in the fall of 2015.
a research statement
from a couple years ago.
Publications (and talk slides)
- Journal articles, conference papers, preprints
- with Luca Moci,
Structure of matroids over a valuation ring,
- with Jenna Rajchgot and Seth Sullivant,
Matrix Schubert varieties and Gaussian graphical models,
- A generating function method for impartial games, in preparation.
- Andrew Berget and Alex Fink, Equivariant K-classes
of matrix orbit closures,
- Alex Fink and Felipe Rincón, Stiefel tropical
- Alex Fink and Luca Moci, Matroids over a ring,
to appear in Journal of the European Mathematical Society.
- Alex Fink,
expansions of matroid Stanley-Reisner rings,
- Alex Fink, Aviezri Fraenkel, Carlos Santos,
Lim is not slim,
International Journal of Game Theory 43 issue 2 (2014), 269–281.
Online at IJGT.
- Alex Fink, Lattice games without rational strategies,
Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A 119 (2012), 450–459.
- Alex Fink and David E Speyer, K-classes of matroids
and equivariant localization, Duke Math. J. 161 no. 14 (2012),
- Alex Fink, Tropical cycles and Chow polytopes,
Beiträge zur Algebra und Geometrie
54 no. 1 (2013), 13–40.
Online at Beiträge.
Video of the talk, MSRI, 16 October 2009.
- Harm Derksen and Alex Fink, Valuative invariants
for polymatroids, Advances in Mathematics
225 no. 4 (2010), 1840–1892.
- Alex Fink, The binomial ideal of the intersection axiom
for conditional probabilities,
J. of Algebraic Combinatorics 33 issue 3 (2011), 455–463.
- Alex Fink, Richard Nowakowski, Aaron Siegel, David Wolfe,
Toppling conjectures, to appear in Games of No Chance 4,
MSRI Publications volume 63.
- Alex Fink and Benjamin Iriarte Giraldo,
Bijections between noncrossing and nonnesting partitions
for classical reflection groups, Portugaliae Mathematicae
67 fasc. 3 (2010), 369–401.
- Alex Fink, Richard Guy and Mark Krusemeyer,
Partitions with parts appearing at most thrice,
Contributions to Discrete Math. 3 (2008), #79.
- Federico Ardila, Alex Fink and Felipe Rincón,
Valuations for matroid polytope subdivisions,
Canadian Journal of Mathematics,
published electronically on July 29, 2010.
- Alex Fink, Jörg Denzinger, and John Aycock,
Extracting NPC behavior from Computer Games using Computer Vision
and Machine Learning Techniques, IEEE Symposium on
Computational Intelligence and Games, 2007, 24–31.
- Alex Fink and Richard Guy,
The number-pad game,
Coll. Math. J. 38 (2007), 260–264.
- Alex Fink,
A generalization of an IMO problem,
Integers, Electronic Journal of Combinatorial Number Theory
6 (2006), #A17.
- Alex Fink and Bill Sands,
Rationals whose sum equals the
reciprocal of their product, Crux Math. 30
- Doctoral thesis
- My thesis was titled
Matroid polytope subdivisions and valuations. Aside from an introduction all its content appears in the
- Expository writing, manuscripts
- Alex Fink and Richard Guy,
Rick's Tricky Six Puzzle:
S5 sits specially in S6,
Math. Magazine 82 no. 2 (April, 2009). See also Doug Ensley's
interactive supplement with implementations of the puzzle.
- If two were three,
what would Hex be?, 2008,
for Gathering for Gardner 8.
See also my other page
on this game, with an implementation.
- Patulous pegboard polygons,
with Derek Kisman and Richard Guy, 2006, for Gathering for Gardner 7,
Mathematical wizardry for a Gardner, AK Peters, 2009.