I am a Senior Lecturer in Pure Mathematics in
the School of
Mathematical Sciences at
University of London.
Office: W306, Queens' Building, Mile End campus (number 19 on
Telephone: 020 7882 5520
Office hours: see
my entry on the School's pages. Or email for an appointment.
Here is my CV.
Teaching and tutoring
In Semester B, I am teaching
MTH4104, Introduction to Algebra.
In previous years I have taught an advanced graduate module on
at the London Taught Course Centre.
I am the Director of Undergraduate Admissions for the School of Mathematical Sciences.
Queries regarding undergraduate admissions should be sent to
(watch this space)
I have two current PhD students:
and one completed:
- Ben Smith (started September 2015)
- Scott Kemp (started September 2017)
I share interests with the
Geometry and Analysis
research groups. It is the Algebra group which I am formally affiliated with.
My research interests are principally in
algebraic combinatorics, especially where commutative algebra
or algebraic geometry apply, including
matroid theory and tropical geometry.
I have made a successful proposal as PI of a Marie Skłodowska-Curie
fellowship titled Tropical differential geometry,
which will begin later this year.
Prior to this I held EPSRC grant EP/M01245X/1
Algebra and geometry of matroids.
Publications (and talk slides)
- Journal articles, conference papers, preprints
- Amanda Cameron and Alex Fink, The Tutte polynomial via lattice point counting,
See also the FPSAC 2016 extended abstract.
- Clément Dupont, Alex Fink and Luca Moci,
Universal Tutte characters via combinatorial coalgebras,
from his minicourse at Dobbiaco 2018.
- Alex Fink and Luca Moci,
Polytopes and parameter spaces for matroids over valuation rings,
- Alex Fink, Karola Mészáros and Avery St. Dizier,
Schubert polynomials as integer point transforms of generalized permutahedra,
- Alex Fink, David E Speyer and Alexander Woo,
A Gröbner basis for the graph of the reciprocal plane,
to appear in Journal of Commutative Algebra.
- Alex Fink, Jenna Rajchgot and Seth Sullivant,
Matrix Schubert varieties and Gaussian conditional independence models,
Journal of Algebraic Combinatorics 44 no. 4 (2016), 1009–1046.
- Andrew Berget and Alex Fink, Equivariant Chow classes
of matrix orbit closures,
Transformation Groups 22 no. 3 (2016),
- Andrew Berget and Alex Fink, Matrix orbit closures,
- Alex Fink and Felipe Rincón, Stiefel tropical
linear spaces, Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A 135 (2015),
- Alex Fink and Luca Moci, Matroids over a ring,
Journal of the European Mathematical Society 18 issue 4 (2016), 681–731.
- Alex Fink,
expansions of matroid Stanley-Reisner rings,
- Alex Fink, Aviezri Fraenkel, Carlos Santos,
Lim is not slim,
International Journal of Game Theory 43 issue 2 (2014), 269–281.
Online at IJGT.
- Alex Fink, Lattice games without rational strategies,
Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A 119 (2012), 450–459.
- Alex Fink and David E Speyer, K-classes of matroids
and equivariant localization, Duke Math. J. 161 no. 14 (2012),
- Alex Fink, Tropical cycles and Chow polytopes,
Beiträge zur Algebra und Geometrie
54 no. 1 (2013), 13–40.
Online at Beiträge.
Video of the talk, MSRI, 16 October 2009.
- Harm Derksen and Alex Fink, Valuative invariants
for polymatroids, Advances in Mathematics
225 no. 4 (2010), 1840–1892.
- Alex Fink, The binomial ideal of the intersection axiom
for conditional probabilities,
J. of Algebraic Combinatorics 33 issue 3 (2011), 455–463.
- Alex Fink, Richard Nowakowski, Aaron Siegel, David Wolfe,
Toppling conjectures, Games of No Chance 4,
MSRI Publications volume 63, 65–76.
- Alex Fink and Benjamin Iriarte Giraldo,
Bijections between noncrossing and nonnesting partitions
for classical reflection groups, Portugaliae Mathematicae
67 fasc. 3 (2010), 369–401.
- Alex Fink and Richard K Guy,
The outercoarseness of the n-cube,
Contributions to Discrete Math. 12 no. 2 (2017), #582.
- Alex Fink, Richard Guy and Mark Krusemeyer,
Partitions with parts appearing at most thrice,
Contributions to Discrete Math. 3 (2008), #79.
- Federico Ardila, Alex Fink and Felipe Rincón,
Valuations for matroid polytope subdivisions,
Canadian Journal of Mathematics,
published electronically on July 29, 2010.
- Alex Fink, Jörg Denzinger, and John Aycock,
Extracting NPC behavior from Computer Games using Computer Vision
and Machine Learning Techniques, IEEE Symposium on
Computational Intelligence and Games, 2007, 24–31.
- Alex Fink and Richard Guy,
The number-pad game,
Coll. Math. J. 38 (2007), 260–264.
- Alex Fink,
A generalization of an IMO problem,
Integers, Electronic Journal of Combinatorial Number Theory
6 (2006), #A17.
- Alex Fink and Bill Sands,
Rationals whose sum equals the
reciprocal of their product, Crux Math. 30
- Doctoral thesis
- My thesis was titled
Matroid polytope subdivisions and valuations. Aside from an introduction all its content appears in the
- Expository writing, manuscripts
Matroid subdivisions, and
a computational appendix.
Written for Jack Edmonds' 2015 summer courses on
Polyhedral Combinatorics and Exponential Polytime,
of which I gave a segment.
- Alex Fink and Richard Guy,
Rick's Tricky Six Puzzle:
S5 sits specially in S6,
Math. Magazine 82 no. 2 (April, 2009). See also Doug Ensley's
interactive supplement with implementations of the puzzle.
- If two were three,
what would Hex be?, 2008,
for Gathering for Gardner 8.
See also my other page
on this game, with an implementation.
- Patulous pegboard polygons,
with Derek Kisman and Richard Guy, 2006, for Gathering for Gardner 7,
Mathematical wizardry for a Gardner, AK Peters, 2009.