The National Student Survey
Are you finishing your studies with us this year?
If you are a final year student, please complete the National Student Survey (NSS) 2012 at http://www.thestudentsurvey.com.The purpose of the NSS is to give feedback on your time with us at Queen Mary and more specifically within the School of Mathematical Sciences. We would like you to fill in the NSS telling us what you think we are doing well and those things that you think we could improve upon.
From all of us in Mathematical Sciences we would like to thank you for taking the time to complete the NSS and we wish you all the best in your quest for your chosen career. We know that your degree in Mathematics will hold you in good stead for the future.
The following section is based on what previous final year students said about the School of Mathematical Sciences and other feedback from Student Representatives.
- There are not enough opportunities to develop team working and presentation skills within my degree.
- We developed a specific programme of events entitled “Graduate Attributes Twilight Events” more commonly referred to as GATE with the School of Physics and Astronomy. These events give you direct experience in developing good team working skills and take you through all the processes of developing good presentation skills. We have completed two cycles of these events and have external employers as judges to help give employer focused feedback.
- You would like easier access to computer availability on campus.
- We introduced an IT availability monitor in the Maths Foyer that shows a real time display of where computers are available on campus.
- You would like more information about careers events and specific events for Mathematical sciences students.
- We produced the specific Mathematical Sciences Careers leaflet giving a specific programme of events for Mathematical sciences students and more information about general careers events. We also publicise all mathematics related events and host a Focus on Finance Week.
- You would like more feedback on your coursework.
- The School has changed all of the modules over to formative feedback so that every piece of coursework will have more specific feedback designed at developing your skills in mathematics.
- Student reps highlighted that you would like more social space and facilities within the Mathematical Sciences building.
- We have built a new foyer space at the front of the maths building that offers social space and areas where you can work in groups. We are currently reviewing all facilities offered within the Mathematical Sciences Building to look into the possibility of offering more on site services like vending machines for tea and coffee.
Results from the National Students Survey 2011
The National Student Survey (NSS) of 265,000 final-year students found 83% of students at UK universities were satisfied, up from 82% in 2010. The findings, which are published by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), were based on answers from students studying at 154 universities and 99 further education colleges across the UK. There was a response rate of 65% - the highest rate in the seven years that the NSS has been running.
Within the School of Mathematical Sciences, 84% of our finalists in 2011 said that they were satisfied overall with the quality of the course. In general, student satisfaction at Queen Mary is higher than the average score for the Russell Group of leading UK universities. The university is now ranked 29th out of 184 higher education institutions for overall satisfaction, up 11 places from 2010.
The School of Mathematical Sciences results have illustrated that over 80% of you said:
- Overall, I am satisfied with the quality of the course.
- Staff are good at explaining things.
- The course is intellectually stimulating.
- Assessment arrangements and marking have been fair.
- I have been able to contact staff when I needed to.
- Any changes in the course of teaching have been communicated effectively.
- The course is well organised and is running smoothly.
- The library resources and services are good enough for my needs.
- Feedback on my work has been prompt.
Over the past few years we in the School of Mathematical Sciences have been working continuously to improve your university experience. Through various feedback measures and in particular the NSS you have said that we have been improving in the areas that you want us to. For more information please refer to the full NSS 2011 results.
We have undertaken a large redevelopment of the foyer to the Mathematical Sciences Building and its frontage. In this new academic year you will see that the building has a striking Penrose tiled frontage and there is now much more space for undergraduate students within the building. Queen Mary is undergoing a massive redevelopment programme to offer all students high quality services and buildings.
“You Said / We Did”
Are you finishing your studies with us this year? If you are a final year student, you will be able to complete the National Student Survey (NSS) 2012 at www.thestudentsurvey.combetween January and April. The purpose of the NSS is to give feedback on your time with us at Queen Mary and more specifically within the School of Mathematical Sciences. We would like you to fill in the NSS telling us what you think we are doing well and those things that you think we could improve on.
From all of us in Mathematical Sciences we would like to thank you for taking the time to complete the NSS and we wish you all the best in your quest for your chosen career. We know that your degree will hold you in good stead for the future.