MTH742U Advanced Combinatorics
This module builds on the combinatorial ideas of the modules Combinatorics and Extremal Combinatorics and introduces some of the more advanced tools for solving combinatorial and graph theoretic problems. The topics covered will depend on the module organiser's expertise but significant emphasis will be on the techniques used as well as the results proved.
Level: 7 Credit value: 15 Semester: B
- MTH710U Enumerative and Asymptotic Combinatorics
- MTHM042 Enumerative and Asymptotic Combinatorics
- MTH738U Additive Combinatorics
- MTH738P Additive Combinatorics
- MTH6109 Combinatorics
Assessment: 100% final exam
Organiser's module website: http://qmplus.qmul.ac.uk/
This module aims to introduce students to some of the more advanced techniques used in combinatorics such as the Regularity Lemma, probabilistic techniques, the discrete Fourier transform, eigenvalue methods and generating functions with the intention that the students will be able to recognise and then apply the appropriate tools in unfamiliar situations.
- P. J. Cameron, Enumerative and Asymptotic Combinatorics, Lecture notes.
- P. Flajolet and R. Sedgwick, Analytic Combinatorics, Cambridge University Press.
Undergraduate Modules for Academic Year 2013–14 (last updated 6 June 2013)