The MSc in Mathematical Finance is a specialist master’s degree designed to equip talented individuals with the skills necessary for a successful career in banking and the financial markets.
Specifically, the programme provides in-depth training for professional roles such as quantitative analysis, trading, financial engineering and structuring, risk management, and software development. Business sectors include investment and commercial banking, fund management, the insurance business, and hedge funds.
The programme is taught jointly by the School of Mathematical Sciences and the School of Economics and Finance, leveraging on the expertise of both departments. It features a wide range of compulsory and elective modules, as well as the opportunity to undertake a significant project in an area of interest.
The programme is offered full-time over one year or part-time over two years, and is assessed by a combination of coursework, examinations and a project dissertation.
Why study with us?
- All the modules on the MSc programme are designed and taught by experts in the field, many of whom have held key positions in financial institutions; they will give you the insights on how to develop a successful career in finance.
- You will be able to develop and refine many of the skills that are actually used inside investment banks, by undertaking a significant, applied project over the summer under the personal supervision of an experienced member of staff.
- You will study in recently refurbished MSc student offices, with state-of-the-art computers and software. We also offer access to Bloomberg terminals.
Maximising your employability
- The programme has close connections to industry. Our popular practitioner seminars enable students to learn from market professionals about the latest developments.
- We offer a range of extra curricula programming seminars in Microsoft Excel, VBA and other development environments, which focus on applications in mathematical finance.
Enabling your career progressions
- The Queen Mary Careers Service, along with other university departments, organises numerous events throughout the year, giving you plenty of opportunities to meet potential employers and to discuss career opportunities.
- Our regular Professional Skills Workshops will give you training in a wide range of practical skills, such as writing an effective CV, applying for jobs, and mastering the recruitment process.
Our connections with industry
Queen Mary has close relationships with a number of commercial and professional organisations.
Queen Mary University of London
- Queen Mary is a member of the prestigious Russell Group of leading UK universities, combining world-class research and teaching excellence.
- We are conveniently located in central London, in close proximity to the two world renowned financial districts of the City of London and Canary Wharf.
Your next step
To apply for the MSc in Mathematical Finance please see the entry requirements and application procedure.